Scavenger hunts for schools
Amsterdam has proved to be a great place for a school trip; we regularly receive students from primary schools, high schools and universities for a scavenger hunt. Some schools even come back every year! We have scavenger hunts for all ages in both the old city center and the Jordaan area.
Available scavenger hunts
Below are the various scavenger hunts that we offer. If you are not sure which one is suitable for your students, we are happy to send you an example of one of the stopping points of the various scavenger hunts.
- Scavenger hunts for children up to 12 years old
- The Children's scavenger hunt Old Town takes about 2 hours. During the tour, topics such as the VOC and the Golden Age will be discussed and you will pass various sights such as the Royal Palace at Dam square. The scavenger hunt is aimed at letting the children learn more about the history and present situation of Amsterdam in an interactive way.
- The Children's scavenger hunt Jordaan and canals also take about 2 hours. The scavenger hunt takes you along the courtyards, special buildings and the history of the canals and of the Jordaan area in a playful way.
- Scavenger hunts for older pupils or students
- The Historical scavenger hunt takes about 3 hours and goes deeper into the history of the old town of Amsterdam. This tour is therefore more suitable for high school students or university students.
- The Jordaan scavenger hunt takes about 3 hours and runs through the entire Jordaan area. During the tour, various topics about this neighborhood are discussed. This treasure hunt is suitable for high school students or university students.
How does it work?
The students will walk the scavenger hunt in groups of about 5 to 8 people per group. The students walk the route (in case of young children under the supervision of their own supervisors) on their own. Each group will receive a firm folder with a map on which the stop points are indicated, a description of the sights and a form with a pen. The students will have to work together and divide the tasks: they have to find the way, find the answers, fill in and puzzle.
One of the employees of Amsterdam Old Town comes to a location where the group gathers, near one of the stops of the scavenger hunt. Each group starts at a different point in the route or starts just after each other, so that they do not get in each other's way. Because the route runs in a circle (where you start, you will also end), they walk behind each other with enough space between the groups. At an agreed time the groups will gather at the same location.
One of the teachers receives a closed envelope with the correct answers. This way you can check afterwards how many questions have been answered correctly. Each participant also receives a city map of Amsterdam. You can keep all the material afterwards, which means that you will only see an employee of Amsterdam Oude Stad at the start. If desired, we can also email additional material, with general information about the past and the present of the city. If the students read this in advance, they will be able to put everything they see on the day in (even) better perspective.
Plan your visit to Amsterdam
You can schedule the scavenger hunt by phone or email. Indicate that this concerns a scavenger hunt for a school group and how many people will join the scavenger hunt. We then plan the hunt together with you, prepare the material, explain on the spot and point the groups in the right direction. As supervisors you do not have to prepare anything yourself.
The scavenger hunt can be extended with a canal cruise. From our partner Lovers, we are able to offer a 1-hour boat trip to schools for € 9,50 per person (price applies to both students and supervisors), when the paid scavenger hunt is also taken. The normal price for this cruise is € 17,00 per person. So you only pay € 14,50 per student for a complete activity of multiple hours. We are also happy to advise if you want to extend your visit to Amsterdam with a visit to a museum or other activity.
Duration: 2 to 3 hours
Price: € 5,00 per person
Payment with CJP money is possible
"Our students did the scavenger hunt today with great pleasure and enthusiasm, thank you for the pleasant cooperation."
"The pupils and supervisors thought it was fantastic, were very enthusiastic and learned a lot."