House on the three canals
The Oudezijds Voorburgwal was dug between 1342 and 1380 and is the oldest canal in Amsterdam. The quiet part to the left of the Damstraat was formerly called the Fluwelen Burgwal (velvet Burgwal). He got this name from the families who lived there. These people usually dressed in velvet clothes. Almost all houses on this part of the canal have been restored to their original state. A beautiful example is the 'House on the three canals' at the end of the Oudezijds Voorburgwal. A plaque on the house showes the text Fluwelen Burgwal. The 'House on the three canals' has three beautiful so called 'trapgevels' (stepped gables), one on each canal. Over time, many different facades were developed, such as 'halsgevels' (neck gables) and 'klokgevels' (bell gables). Walk along the canal and admire the beautiful facades.