This beautiful Roman Catholic church is located opposite Central Station on the Prins Hendrikkade. The imposing building extends all the way to the water of the Oudezijds Kolk. The church was built in the period 1884-1887 to a design by architect Adrianus Bleijs (1842-1912). The Sint Nicolaaskerk is the second church with this name in the city. The first, the current Oude Kerk, was destroyed during the Alteration in 1578. The statue of Saint Nicholas adorns the facade of the church. Saint Nicholas is the patron saint of sailors and prostitutes. The church is, very appropriate, exactly between the IJ and the Red Light District.
After a period of neglect, a costly interior and exterior restoration was completed in 1999. Now it is an active congregation with a liturgy mainly focused on contemplation and austerity. In addition to the Catholic masses in Dutch and Spanish, an Anglican sung vesper was performed every Saturday by one of the choirs in the church. The beautifully restored 19th century Sauer organ is also regularly featured in special organ concerts, where organists from all over the world come to perform.